This week the Making Afterschool Cool podcast focuses on implementing the UNICEF Child-Friendly Cities Initiative. My guest is Laura Cuellar, the Program Manager of UNICEF Child-Friendly Cities Initiative with the City of Houston Mayor's Office of Education. In this episode, you will learn more about:
- The purpose of the Child-Friendly Cities Initiative, along with the goals of the project
- The process for implementing a UNICF Child-Friendly Cities Initiative
- Which areas in Houston will the project be implemented
- The role youth play in this initiative
- How afterschool professional and programs assist with this project
Laura Cuellar, the Program Manager of UNICEF Child-Friendly Cities Initiative. She is with the Mayor's Office of Education in the City of Houston.
Ms. Cuellar is an advocate for youth with a passion for creating educational opportunities for marginalized communities, including immigrants, low-income families, and first-generation children born in the US. Her desire to help others led her to become a community organizer and coalition builder. Laura has mentored over 400 college students and is experienced at creating partnerships to build community among diverse individuals, groups, and organizations.
City of Houston Joins UNICEF USA Child Friendly Cities Initiative
Harris County Department of Education
CASE for Kids